Thursday, 28 November 2013

Beetlejuice sequel in the works

The Beetlejuice sequel looks set to become a reality after years of lingering in the darkest depths of development limbo. Seth Grahame-Smith (Dark Shadows) is the man charged with writing the latest script and there has been speculation that Tim Burton, having recently wrapped on Big Eyes, is ready to come back and direct old friend Michael Keaton in the lead role. Now, talking to The Daily Beast, Keaton's co-star Winona Ryder is hinting that she might be back as well.




Ryder, of course, played the troubled Lydia Deetz, who moves with her annoying family into a house that was formerly owned by Adam and Barbara Maitland (Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis), who died in a car accident and who are trying to haunt the place. They contract Beetlejuice, an insane bio-exorcist, to remove the new humans from what they still see as their home. Lydia takes a shine to the pair, but Beetlejuice decides he likes her even more.

Ryder's not ready to spill the beans about the new film just yet – "I'm kind of sworn to secrecy" – but she does reveal a few plans for the movie. "It's not a remake. It's 27 years later. And I have to say, I love Lydia so much. She was such a huge part of me. I would be really interested in what she is doing 27 years later."

Even today, Ryder, who was 17 when Beetlejuice was shot, feels closer to Burton's masterpiece than many of her other movies. "That's one of those movies where little kids stop me," she said. "I'm so associated with it. I think it gave me my career. I was such a weird looking kid."

While she may be protective of the characters, like many of the people who worked on the original ("I would never go near a sequel if it was not Tim and Michael. Because those guys, I love,") Ryder has clearly been contacted about it. Whether she ends up in the final film though is another matter, but we can certainly hope for a decent follow-up. It's showtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment